Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Baby Shower Gifts

Pretty sad that I can't post this project on social media yet, but thankfully I can post it here!
Not knowing what to get a friend for her upcoming baby shower, I whipped up these cute little blocks




I'm so pleased with how they turned out, that I'm going to make another set for E for Christmas this year.
Luckily I still have a ton of paint left over from my Harry Potter Mural, that I was able to use for painting the majority of the blocks.
 While my friend is going with a woodland theme for her baby's room, I'm going to stick with a bird theme for E's blocks. Initially I wanted to leave them un-painted so you could see the wood grain, but the only thing we had laying around to make these with was some old fir 2x2's from when we re-did part of the basement, and being that I asked for the blocks to be made at 10 o'clock at night, I got what I got!

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Mural Update

Starting to look like something other than tape on a wall!


Friday, September 30, 2016

6 month catch up!


Even though I haven't posted much (anything!) in the past 6 months, I've done a pretty good job of keeping busy at my crafts!
 Here's a run down of some of my favorites, as well as something I'm currently working on!
Crochet Mermaid Costume.

 This I completely made up one day sitting on the couch watching tv / my baby nap. I measured general lengths (waist circumference, and waste to toe length) for the tail, and chest circumference for the top, and then just winged it! Of course, we then needed to have an impromptu photo shoot to justify making the outfit in April, rather than a costume for Halloween...

Weasley Christmas Sweater

This one I followed directions for. and I'm happy to say that I finally finished my first knitted sweater!
Link here

Reading Tipi

Here's another one that I winged. I bought 6ft lengths of dowel, measured how long I wanted the edges, and cut the fabric accordingly. To make sure that it didn't fall down when being grabbed / pulled on, I sewed pockets for each of the dowels to keep them secure. *Missing from this photo: lamb skin rug, big comfy pillows

Quiddich Robes

I was very excited to take little E this year to our hometown comic expo. Even more exciting, we lucked out and were able to get photos with Tom Felton (aka. Draco Malfoy), so naturally I had to dress her up! These quiddich robes were made by making a loose pattern for the top based off one of her sweaters, and then just adding on the desired length. Just for fun, I made up my own quiddich team, and painted on a crest. The smudges were from her trying to help me out.

Hogwarts Mural


Finally we're starting to get some color into little E's room! We also finally got her a bed, and some other room type things, but the stark white that we originally painted was starting to weigh on me. So! I convinced my husband that I needed to paint a full wall length mural to help break things up! The wall I'm painting it on is roughly 2.3 feet wide, and 8 feet high.
More to report on this as the weekend goes on, but so far I'm digging it!



Sunday, March 13, 2016

Easter Photo and outfit

So, been a bit bored with my new change of pace.. so Baby E has been starring in my learning newborn photography.
 I also decided to make a super cute rabbit outfit for her first Easter photos.
 To make the ears I crocheted around a bent pipecleaner, and the attached them to a band that went most of the way around her head. I luckily had a pink ribbon laying around to use to secure the band around her head.
 For the diaper cover, I used one of her existing diapers as a template as to how big to make it, and where to put the leg holes. I made it using a double crochet, so was able to use buttons to secure through one of the natural holes that were created. The tail was just a basic pom pom that I secured to the back of the diaper cover.
 I also decided after taking this round of photos to make some prop carrots, so those will be incorporated when we re-do this shoot later this week!

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Tourtière


Tourtière

The pie crust I used was from the inside of the package of lard (and make sure you use lard, not shortening!). I find the crust always works better for me when I do only a half batch... and quite nicely, the below filling amount filled up a half batch perfectly!

Filling:
  • 1lb ground pork
  • 4 strips of bacon, chopped
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1tsp sage
  • dash allspice
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 medium potato, grated
Saute together onions and garlic. I did this in 2tbsp lamb fat... but it would also work to do it with pork fat, or butter, I just happened to have lamb handy.

Once onions are translucent, add in bacon and ground pork. Cook through.

Add in potato and spices.

Let simmer together.

Add to pie crusts. 
Cook at 460F for 15 minutes and then lower the heat to 350F for another 45 minutes.

Cooks notes: This recipe was originally adapted from a friends family recipe. Since I'd never had Tourtière before, and I didn't know how people would receive it I decided to add bacon, and not add in some of the recommended spices. The recipe above shows all ingredients I decided to use. It was a huge hit at potluck last weekend, and the friend who's family recipe I adapted it from also gave it good reviews. I'm going to make that in the success column.

Monday, November 23, 2015

2015 Christmas Cards

Got my Christmas cards done finally!

 Bet you can't even tell that I photoshopped on their hats (haha yes, you can.. but usually my cards are cheesy like that, so I don't even care!)